Heritage Park

Heritage Park is a 17-acre neighborhood park. This facility is great for family activities due to its big open spaces, abundant parking, and numerous conveniences.

Basketball court, seats, bocce ball court, pavilion, picnic tables, volleyball court, water spray park, and other amenities are available.

A 25-mile circular route, an orchard, the Heritage House Museum, a bathhouse, concessions, and the Green Red Barn are all part of the experience.

Heritage Park also houses:

  • Scott Mentzer Pool
  • Green Red Barn (renewable energy demonstration facility and home of the city’s Pfarmers Market) has an open pavilion and gazebo.
  • The Heritage House Museum

Scott Mentzer Pool

The Scott Mentzer Pool is a community pool where you may enjoy two slides, a splash pad, and a lazy river. The facility is within Heritage Park, so hop in after playing on the nearby playground or walking the path. Showers, locker rooms, and rentable lockers are available at the pool. To go down the corkscrew and the family slide at the pool alone, children must be at least 48 inches tall. You may ride the family slide with an adult if you are shorter than 48 inches.

The Green Red Barn

The Green Red Barn in Heritage Park is a red barn, but we name it the Green Red Barn because it is a recognized renewable energy facility with solar panels and wind turbines, as well as a fantastic event venue. The Green Red Barn hosts the Pfarmer’s Market from May to October and is available for special events and rental by the community all year. The Barn is located in Heritage Park, next to Scott Mentzer Pool and the Heritage House Museum. On-site are a path, a bosse ball court, a covered playground, and volleyball courts.

Museum of the Heritage House

In 1849, Henry Pfluger moved his family from Germany to Texas to escape the Prussian War. Pfluger, a wealthy German, lost practically all of his possessions during the war. After residing for a while on a farm east of Austin with his brother-in-law John Liese, Pfluger paid Liese $960 for 960 acres along Brushy Creek north of the state’s capital city in 1853. Pflugerville would not see an increase in population until after the Civil War, when churches and a school were established. However, it was the arrival of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad that started fast expansion that lasted into the twentieth century.

The Heritage House Museum in Pflugerville illustrates much of the town’s history – a community that owes its discovery and name to an early German-Texan.


Pflugerville is in Travis County, Texas, with a small portion in Williamson County. The population was 65,191 as of the 2020 census. Pflugerville is a suburb of Austin that is included in the Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos Combined Statistical Area. Pflüger, which translates as “plowman,” was named after the area’s early German settlers.


The Pfluger estate

German immigrant Henry Pfluger, Sr. (1803-1867) and members of his family settled in the area from late 1849 to early 1850. Pfluger was a wealthy German farmer who lost everything in the Prussian War. [clarification needed] He arrived in the United States with $1,600 and purchased 160 acres (0.65 km2) of land from John Liese, a brother-in-law who had traveled ahead of him. Near 1853, Pfluger paid Liese $960 for a 960-acre (3.9 km2) block of land in Brushy Knob. In a five-room log cabin, the family grew maize, wheat, rye, beans, sweet potatoes, and sugar cane. The Pfluger family also had slaves, some of whom knew good German.

Community Expansion

It was not until after the Civil War that a community was formed.

The town features a school and a Lutheran church, both of which were established in the 1870s. In 1890, Louis Bohls built the first commercial venture in the neighborhood, a general store. To safeguard residents from natural disasters, the German-American Mutual Assistance Foundation was established, as was the “Pflugerville Schuetzen and Kegel Verein,” a shooting and bowling club. Louis Bohls was the first postmaster of the Pflugerville post office, which opened in 1893.

The population reached approximately 250 in the mid-1890s, and a little downtown developed, while most residents did their banking and shipping in Round Rock, some eight miles (13 kilometers) to the northwest.

Conrad Pfluger constructed some of the wooden buildings on Main and Pecan Streets.

In 1904 the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (MKT) completed its track from Georgetown to Austin, passing near to Pflugerville. The area flourished swiftly due to its closeness to the train.

On February 19, 1904, George Pfluger and his son, Albert, platted Pflugerville, assigning streets and lanes from the Alexander Walter and C. S. Parrish Surveys in Travis County. The parcel consisted of sixteen blocks, rights-of-way, and the MKT depot grounds. The town’s first extension was the six-block Wuthrich Expansion, which was platted on November 22, 1904. In 1904 Otto Pfluger invented the first cotton gin. In 1931, it was destroyed by fire, and a new one was built in its stead.

On June 8, 1906, the Farmers State Bank of Pflugerville was founded by William Pfluger as president and A.W. Pfluger as cashier.

The Pflugerville Press, a weekly newspaper, first appeared on August 7, 1907 and continued until October 29, 1942.

Black cotton workers in Pflugerville were not allowed to reside in the town in 1910. Farmer La Rue Norton, who owned 1,200 acres of land west of Pflugerville, set aside an acre for the laborers and sold lots for $50 each. The hamlet was designated in county documents as Pflugerville’s Colored Addition in April 1910.

Austin Dog Training

Next Point of Interest: Mills Pond