Northeast Metropolitan Park
Northeast Metropolitan Park is a 349-acre multi-use recreational facility that includes soccer fields, multi-use fields, baseball fields, a cricket field, a basketball court, a tennis court, a skate park, and a BMX race track. Restrooms, playgrounds, group shelters, picnic tables with grills, concession facilities for hire, and a water play area are among the amenities.
A two-mile concrete walkway runs beside Gilleland Creek, making it excellent for bicycling, running, or strolling while taking in the scenery.
Northeast Metro Park offers a tranquil setting with picnic spots and paths, a modern skate park, lush green sports fields, and a world-class BMX track.
Track for BMX
Travis County Parks’ BMX Racetrack debuted in 2015 and is regarded as one of the best in the country. It is one of the few that meets both the new UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale) criteria and all USA BMX regulations. Riders are propelled down the initial 30 foot wide straight to the first asphalt turn by the 5M start hill. The track features three turns and a total length of 1000 feet. To preserve uniformity and help weatherize the track, an unique coating procedure known as Skimming was applied to the surface. In addition to the world-class track interior, this track has unique amenities such as a covered staging area, covered viewing area, and accessible concession and toilet spaces.
Pflugerville is in Travis County, Texas, with a small portion in Williamson County. The population was 65,191 as of the 2020 census. Pflugerville is a suburb of Austin that is included in the Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos Combined Statistical Area. Pflüger, which translates as “plowman,” was named after the area’s early German settlers.
The Pfluger estate
German immigrant Henry Pfluger, Sr. (1803-1867) and members of his family settled in the area from late 1849 to early 1850. Pfluger was a wealthy German farmer who lost everything in the Prussian War. [clarification needed] He arrived in the United States with $1,600 and purchased 160 acres (0.65 km2) of land from John Liese, a brother-in-law who had traveled ahead of him. Near 1853, Pfluger paid Liese $960 for a 960-acre (3.9 km2) block of land in Brushy Knob. In a five-room log cabin, the family grew maize, wheat, rye, beans, sweet potatoes, and sugar cane. The Pfluger family also had slaves, some of whom knew good German.
It was not until after the Civil War that a community was formed.
The town features a school and a Lutheran church, both of which were established in the 1870s. In 1890, Louis Bohls built the first commercial venture in the neighborhood, a general store. To safeguard residents from natural disasters, the German-American Mutual Assistance Foundation was established, as was the “Pflugerville Schuetzen and Kegel Verein,” a shooting and bowling club. Louis Bohls was the first postmaster of the Pflugerville post office, which opened in 1893.
The population reached approximately 250 in the mid-1890s, and a little downtown developed, while most residents did their banking and shipping in Round Rock, some eight miles (13 kilometers) to the northwest.
Conrad Pfluger, one of Henry Pfluger, Srsons, .’s constructed several of the wooden structures on Main and Pecan Streets.
In 1904 the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (MKT) completed its track from Georgetown to Austin, passing near to Pflugerville. The area flourished swiftly due to its closeness to the train.
On February 19, 1904, George Pfluger and his son, Albert, platted Pflugerville, assigning streets and lanes from the Alexander Walter and C. S. Parrish Surveys in Travis County. The parcel consisted of sixteen blocks, rights-of-way, and the MKT depot grounds. The town’s first extension was the six-block Wuthrich Expansion, which was platted on November 22, 1904. In 1904 Otto Pfluger invented the first cotton gin. In 1931, it was destroyed by fire, and a new one was built in its stead.
On June 8, 1906, the Farmers State Bank of Pflugerville was founded by William Pfluger as president and A.W. Pfluger as cashier.
The Pflugerville Press, a weekly newspaper, first appeared on August 7, 1907 and continued until October 29, 1942.
Black cotton workers in Pflugerville were not allowed to reside in the town in 1910. Farmer La Rue Norton, who owned 1,200 acres of land west of Pflugerville, set aside an acre for the laborers and sold lots for $50 each. The hamlet was designated in county documents as Pflugerville’s Colored Addition in April 1910.
Pflugerville held its first German Day celebration on May 29, 1910.
H.S. Pfluger developed the Sky Dome Theater on Friday and Saturday nights, which showed motion pictures to the sounds of a player piano. In 1928, it was destroyed.
In the early 1920s, Pflugerville had a population of 500 people.
During that time, several adjacent school districts united with Pflugerville High School.
Next Point of Interest: Lake Pflugerville Park