Pfluger Park

Pfluger Park, located in the center of downtown Pflugerville, is ideal for family outings.

The 30-acre community park has a gazebo and a playground, and the City’s Hike and Bike Trail around the park and Gilleland Creek, with picnic tables and BBQ grills along the route. There are bathrooms, a basketball court, a sand volleyball court, and a playscape in the Park.

Pfluger Grove is located in Pfluger Park, near to the playscape. There is a covered gazebo, concrete tables and seats, grilling stations, picnic spots, and a volleyball court in this location. The City’s Fallen Warrior Memorial is also located in the Park.

The Fallen Warrior Memorial in Pflugerville

Pflugerville residents remembered a local Marine who died in the line of duty in November 2004. Following his funeral, thankful people asked if Pflugerville had lost additional men in the fight of liberty, but there was no official record of local soldiers killed in action. In January 2005, a group of residents convened to discuss how to honor their sacrifices. Oral histories were collected, and a memorial was created as a result of this research. As a result, the Pflugerville Fallen Warrior Memorial was established.

The Fallen Warrior Memorial stands out in Pflugerville Park. Life-sized bronze statues of three generations of soldiers stand in front of a granite pentagon on which the names of our Fallen Warriors will be etched. The pentagon and sculptures are set against a backdrop of limestone amphitheater seats. Visitors are invited inside the monument via landscaped pathways.


Pflugerville is a city located in Travis County, Texas, with a tiny fraction in Williamson County. According to the 2020 census, the population was 65,191. Pflugerville is an Austin suburb and part of the Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos Combined Statistical Area. Pflüger, which meaning “plowman,” was called after the area’s first German residents.


Pfluger estate

From late 1849 to early 1850, German immigrant Henry Pfluger, Sr. (1803-1867) and members of his family moved in the region. Pfluger was a rich farmer in Germany who lost everything during the Prussian War. [clarification required] He came in the US with $1,600 and bought 160 acres (0.65 km2) of land from John Liese, a brother-in-law who had moved before him. Pfluger paid Liese $960 for a 960-acre (3.9 km2) parcel of property in Brushy Knob in 1853. There, the family farmed maize, wheat, rye, beans, sweet potatoes, and sugar cane in a five-room log home. The Pfluger family also held slaves, some of whom spoke German fluently.

Growth of the community

The formation of a community did not occur until after the Civil War.

The town has a school and a Lutheran church built in the 1870s. Louis Bohls opened the first commercial enterprise in the neighborhood, a general shop, in 1890. The German-American Mutual Assistance Foundation was founded to protect inhabitants from natural calamities, and the “Pflugerville Schuetzen and Kegel Verein,” a shooting and bowling club, was founded. The Pflugerville post office initially established in 1893, with Louis Bohls as the first postmaster.

During the mid-1890s, the population reached about 250, and a little downtown emerged, though most inhabitants did their banking and shipping in Round Rock, some eight miles (13 kilometers) to the northwest.

Conrad Pfluger, one of Henry Pfluger, Sreight .’s sons, built several of the wooden structures on Main Street and Pecan Street.

The Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (MKT) finished its track from Georgetown to Austin in 1904, passing close beyond Pflugerville. Because of its proximity to the railroad, the neighborhood grew quickly.

George Pfluger and his son, Albert, platted Pflugerville on February 19, 1904, designating streets and lanes from the Alexander Walter and C. S. Parrish Surveys in Travis County. The tract included sixteen blocks, rights-of-way, and the MKT depot grounds. The six-block Wuthrich Expansion, platted on November 22, 1904, was the town’s first addition. Otto Pfluger created the first cotton gin in 1904. It was destroyed by fire in 1931, and a new one was erected in its place.

The Farmers State Bank of Pflugerville began on June 8, 1906, with William Pfluger as president and A.W. Pfluger as cashier.

The Pflugerville Press, a weekly newspaper, began publication on August 7, 1907 and ran until October 29, 1942.

In 1910, black laborers in the Pflugerville cotton industry were not permitted to settle in the town. Farmer La Rue Norton, who owned 1,200 acres (4.9 km2) of property west of Pflugerville, set aside an acre for the laborers and sold lots for $50 apiece. In April 1910, the hamlet was identified in county records as Pflugerville’s Colored Addition.

On May 29, 1910, Pflugerville had its inaugural German Day celebration.

On Friday and Saturday nights, H.S. Pfluger created the Sky Dome Theater, which displayed motion pictures to the music of a player piano. It was demolished in 1928.

Pflugerville had a population of 500 people in the early 1920s.

Several neighboring school districts merged with Pflugerville High School during that time period.

Austin Dog Training

Next Point of Interest: Northeast Metropolitan Park